If you are running one of those three plugins and you want to update your plugin to the following versions:
- Update Widgetize pages light to 1.5 version
- Update Sidebar Manager light to 1.3 version
- Update Widget Manager light to 1.3 version
The examples bellow are for updating Widgetize pages light to 1.5 version. For the other two plugins the process is absolutely the same.
Updating to Widgetize pages light 1.5 version
Let’s say you have Widgetize pages light 1.4 (or anything bellow). Here is what you need to do:
- Most important! – deactivate version 1.4 (or anything bellow) that you are currently running. Go to Plugins -> find Widget Manager light -> click Deactivate
- Then you can go ahead and update your plugin.
- Either hit the update new button under the plugin name
- Or upload the new files manually via FTP
- Activate your plugin
All my sidebars disappeared after installing the new version. What to do?
This means that you haven’t deactivated the plugin before installing the new Widgetize pages light 1.5 version. There are two options to fix this:
- Option 1
- deactivate and delete the plugin
- go to Developers tab on the plugins page – here
- download version 1.4 (not the latest, but the one before that)
- install that version
- follow the process above – do not forget to deactivate before updating to 1.5
- Option 2
- via FTP go to your installations folder.
- Open wp-includes/widgets.php in a text editor and replace the following strings:
- replace ‘function otwrem_is_active_sidebar’ with ‘function is_active_sidebar’
- replace ‘function otwrem_dynamic_sidebar’ with ‘function dynamic_sidebar’
- Go to Plugins in WP admin and activate your plugin
Why do I need to deactivate first?
Widgetize pages light 1.5 on installation the plugin used to replace the names for two of the original WP functions so that we can have our own two. This was needed because of the sidebars and widgets replacement functionality.
We now have a better way of doing that so no function names replacement is required. The deactivation of the plugin before updating to version 1.5 will restore the original names for those two functions. That’s why you do not have to skip it.
Everything should be now working even better than before 🙂